[rescue] first real server hardware

Gerhard Lenerz mail at g-lenerz.de
Sat Apr 17 08:30:52 CDT 2004

Hello Todd,

Saturday, April 17, 2004, 3:19:17 PM, you wrote:

> No disk... more importantly no drive caddy, and NO IRIX.
> Unless you've got a SOG monitor, you'll need a converter.

  you are right, someone new to the SGI platform should probably wait
  for a more complete system. Octanes are quite cheap at the moment so
  it's not like you are missing terrible bargains if you don't jump on
  the first cheap one you see.

  The drivesled is the smallest of all problems. If you don't plan to
  move the machine around a lot you can simply stick the disk in (you
  will need something to keep it at the appropriate height though).
  The Octane sleds don't have any adaptor or cabling on them. They are
  just frames that keep the SCA drive in the correct place.

  Officially I probably wouldn't recommend using a drive without sled,
  but personally I'm doing just that currently. So far no problems.

--
Best regards,
 Gerhard                            mailto:mail at g-lenerz.de

Old SGI Stuff                       http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de/