[rescue] first real server hardware

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sat Apr 17 01:59:19 CDT 2004

> On Apr 17, 2004, at 1:18 AM, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
[someone wrote]
> >> Then there's the russians (I always seem to get placed right next to
> >> them) selling a literal truckload of crap, and a few nice items. The
> >> crap is over-priced, but it appeals to some folks (look! sun
> >> workstations for $10/ea! they were selling stripped SS/2
> >> chassis...)...
> >> Then, you find the one jewel - an Ultra 450 MB with RAM & loads of
> >> dense
> >> RAM, but the price is $2,500! :^(
> >
> > Izzat Boris Peters?
>
>    Doubtful.  I've gotten *amazing* deals from Boris over the past
> fifteen years or so.  Like last summer...the loaded E3500 for $500,
> along with the Phaser 740 with full toner cartridges for something like
> $200, and the RS/6000 model 397 with two 100baseT interfaces and 256MB
> of RAM for $50.
>
>    If Boris is charging you high prices, you've done something to piss
> him off.

I shoulda said "Surely you're not talking about Boris Peters."

Boris is OK by me.  I bought an LX from him at the Dayton Hamvention some
years back, and it was cheap.  No RAM, of course.  I put the RAM in the
wrong slots and got some misleading, and terrible-sounding error.  I
e-mailed Boris.  He immediately said he'd swap it or give me my money back.
Once I discovered the RAM slots business, the LX was OK, of course.

-Shel