[rescue] first real server hardware

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Apr 17 00:27:44 CDT 2004

On Apr 17, 2004, at 1:18 AM, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
>> Then there's the russians (I always seem to get placed right next to
>> them) selling a literal truckload of crap, and a few nice items. The
>> crap is over-priced, but it appeals to some folks (look! sun
>> workstations for $10/ea! they were selling stripped SS/2
>> chassis...)...
>> Then, you find the one jewel - an Ultra 450 MB with RAM & loads of
>> dense
>> RAM, but the price is $2,500! :^(
>
> Izzat Boris Peters?

   Doubtful.  I've gotten *amazing* deals from Boris over the past
fifteen years or so.  Like last summer...the loaded E3500 for $500,
along with the Phaser 740 with full toner cartridges for something like
$200, and the RS/6000 model 397 with two 100baseT interfaces and 256MB
of RAM for $50.

   If Boris is charging you high prices, you've done something to piss
him off.

       -Dave