[rescue] How much is this really worth?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Apr 16 09:53:28 CDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 08:46:11AM -0500, Steve Hatle wrote:
> There's an Onyx just up the road. Don't know much about them, but I'm
> thinking a grand is too much, but what do I know.
>
> What's does the collective think?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3090172875

The price seems a bit high.  But, considering that it is a Rack unit,
not a deskside, it may be worth it.  It should be fairly cheap to
increase the CPU count significantly.

Also, one of the part numbers makes me think this is an Infinite Reality
machine rather than an RE2 machine.  That makes the $1k sound even more
legitimate.

Also, from the part numbers listed, it seems that this machine has the
Sirius option.  However, that is somewhat useless if you can't get the
BOB and cables for it.  On the other hand, BOBs show up on ebay not that
infrequently, though that doesn't really help with the cables.

All in all, I'd say this machine is probably solidly worth the $1k they
are asking, maybe even a bit more.

If I could afford it and the shipping (and had a place to put it in my
apartment), I'd pay it in a heart beat.