[rescue] first real server hardware

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 15 14:51:45 CDT 2004

> From: "William G. Gruesbeck" <bgruesbeck at daysys.com>
> Date: 2004/04/15 Thu PM 06:50:42 GMT
> To: rescue at sunhelp.org
> Subject: [rescue] first real server hardware
>
> Hi everyone. I've lurked around quite a bit on the list
> and only popped up from time to time. Well today I
> finally bought my first real server. I just bought a
> Sun E250 from Anysystem off of ebay.

A great vendor, and a fince choice of first system ;^)

> But I have a couple of quick questions.

OK

> A keyboard and mouse is $20 bucks extra.
> Is this something that I should go ahead and get even though
> it doesn't have a framebuffer in it? Just in case. Should
> I even consider getting a framebuffer for it?

Well, opinions vary, but I think having access to a GUI is vital in a training
machine (your stated purpose for this machine). You may find yourself applying
for work somewhere where they rely on the GUIs, and your lack of exp. with
them may case you problems.

Framebuffers for machines like the E250 are quite cheap, and I would suggest
getting one just to have it. I frequently see appropriate framebuffers on Ebay
for around $20-30 (shipped), and they tend to use standard PC monitors (not
13W3 cables)...

> While I'm comfortable using serial consoles and ssh sessions,
> my goals are to use it mainly to learn Solaris well enough to
> put it on my resume, maybe get a cert or two, and to play
> with a nice OS on real hardware. So I'm wondering if there
> is anything else that I should know about or look into getting
> for this machine?

You might want to get a spare power supply, not becuse the one you have may
die, but because if it does die, your machine is useless, and replacement
power supplies are pretty commonly available on Ebay for $50-60. The system
can accomodate two power supplies,and will keep running if one dies.

Oh, and I'd get the keyboard/mouse from Anysystem - it can come in handy if
you need to reset/restore factory settings...

HTH,

Lionel
lionel 4287 at verizon net