[rescue] first real server hardware

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Apr 15 14:23:11 CDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 02:50:42PM -0400, William G. Gruesbeck wrote:
> Hi everyone. I've lurked around quite a bit on the list and only popped
> up from time to time. Well today I finally bought my first real server.
> I just bought a Sun E250 from Anysystem off of ebay. But I have a couple
> of quick questions. A keyboard and mouse is $20 bucks extra. Is this
> something that I should go ahead and get even though it doesn't have a
> framebuffer in it? Just in case. Should I even consider getting a
> framebuffer for it?

No, I'd suggest just running it headless.  If you need X, run an X server
on a PC/Linux/Mac machine, and just export your DISPLAY variable over to
point to the other machine.

> While I'm comfortable using serial consoles and ssh sessions, my goals
> are to use it mainly to learn Solaris well enough to put it on my
> resume, maybe get a cert or two, and to play with a nice OS on real
> hardware. So I'm wondering if there is anything else that I should know
> about or look into getting for this machine?

They're nice, good, solid, QUIET machines.  AnySystem is a GREAT company;
the current SunHELP server (a fully-loaded E3000) is from them.

Bill

--
bill bradford
austin texas