[rescue] Current collections...

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Apr 9 13:02:33 CDT 2004

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    It's a cross betweeen a window unit and a central air conditioning
> system.  There's a compressor that mounts outside, and a coil & blower
> that mounts inside on the wall, connected by a bundle of cables and
> freon tubes through a 3" (or so) hole in the wall.

Wow.  That's a pretty neat little arrangement.  Since I already have a
window-unit in my computer room, I won't be recovering and aesthetics,
but I certainly will need both better insulation and a larger air
conditioner in the next month or two.

>    I get the impression that they're pretty efficient, but I don't have
> actual numbers handy.

Well, I'm sure most-anything new would be more efficient than the run-to-
death 8KBTU unit in the computer room.

> As I understand it, though, freon compressor-based air cooling systems
> generally become more efficient as they get larger, though I don't
> understand why.

Perhaps the increase in cost allows the manufacturer to use more copper
tubing, taking better advantage of relative surface area versus relative
volume.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."