[rescue] Replacement for canned air?

Dan Williams dan_williams at ntlworld.com
Fri Apr 9 08:11:09 CDT 2004

> What he said!  Make sure you have a low opening (CO2 is
> heavier than O2) for the CO2 to escape out of.  In paintball
> shops, they have a line for venting the bottles (you have to chill
> them to get liquid into them) which has a muffler on it and is located
> near a door.  Well, if they know what they are doing, they do.
>
> Be careful with the cold.  Since CO2 is in liquid form in the bottle,
> it can be a lot colder coming out due to a full state change.  You can
> get localized frostbite and possibly do temperatature damage to
> delicate components.
>
> Depending on what the nitrogen cylinders are rated at,
> they may have liquid in them as well, and the same cautions
> apply.
>
> =Nadine=
>
> (See what I learned at OSHA-mandated "hazardous materials training"
> for high pressure vessel handling? Aka, "paintball class".)

They are 3ft cylinders with a mixture of 60% nitrogen 40% co2, standard
for lager. I am fully aware of the dangers of these but short bursts to
clean stuff in a large ventilated room, or even outside won't do any
harm. You'd be more likley to hurt yourself dropping it on your foot, or
as you said burning your hand if you do it without gloves.

Dan