[rescue] Current collections...

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Thu Apr 8 15:38:38 CDT 2004

Bill Bradford wrote ...

> When I started at Comco, they had a bunch of cascaded eight-port 10baseT
> hubs.  I replaced it with a Grand Junction/Cisco Catalyst (2800 I think
> it was?).  25x10baseT, 8x100baseT, all switched.

They probably bought those hubs as they built the network, and even hubs
were expensive at one time; only the really rich bought switches.

The first two or three networks I built were all 10base2 coax; the folks
involved didn't want to spend $300-500 per 8-port hub to run 10baseT.  They
were already paying over $100 each for ISA NICs....

Networking a bunch of computers used to be expensive; it's one area where
mass acceptance of a technology has really cut the price (and upped the
performance) over a short time period.

-Shel