[rescue] So, I'm bringing up my E3000....

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Thu Apr 8 12:31:16 CDT 2004

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> I've always wondered... how does performance work out when a drive is
> partially mirrored, with swap interleaved?

I've never had a problem with it.  I've also managed systems
that had swap mirrored rather than interleaved so that a
drive failure wouldn't take the system down.

> I've thought of mirroring part of some of my drives too, but always felt
> like it was wrong to mirror partitions instead of entire drives.

An advantage of mirroring partitions instead of entire drives is
that you can mirror only desired partitions which in the case of
software RAID might improve performance.  (such as interleaving
instead of mirroring swap above)  Your drives can also be of different
sizes.  You can also mirror partitions on one drive to partitions spread
across two other drives that might also be on different SCSI channels.
Me, I like hardware mirroring of entire drives, but it's spendy.

-DanD

# Never go to sea with two chronometers; take one or three.  -Anonymous