Dell hardware (was Re: [rescue] Current collections...)

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Thu Apr 8 09:24:04 CDT 2004

On Thursday 08 April 2004 08:55, Francois Dion wrote:
> Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> >While Dell doesn't have the greatest hardware (at least for their
> > first gen stuff; I hear their current stuff isn't bad) - the
> > management interface on our PowerConnect 3048s has issuse with
> > locking up - the switches do something that the Cisco switches
> > didn't.  They actually had a backplane that could support
> > all-to-all communications without maxing anything out.  The Cisco
> > switch I tried at the time maxed out at 80% of total speed, and
> > cost $6000 instead of $1000.
>
> I think Cisco has heard the cry of their VARs and other Cisco
> resellers, as they now come within $200 of Dell, and $100 of HP.

Really?  A Cat 2950 (48port 10/100 w/2 GbE uplinks) costs $3k on
insight.com, and a Dell PowerConnect 3348, from Dell, costs $950
typical, and it was on sale for $650 through yesterday.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/
The Computer Refuge               ---  http://computer-refuge.org