[rescue] Current collections...

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Thu Apr 8 01:55:04 CDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 01:01:28AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 05:05:11PM -0400, Kevin Loch wrote:
> > I too have had several compaq switches ( model sw3323 ) fail.  The
> > symptom is some ports stop passing traffic.  They would run fine for
> > months or weeks and then some ports would lock up.
>
> Even worse - DELL NETWORKING GEAR.
>
> We replaced a $$$ 24-port managed copper gigabit switch (Dell) with a
> $800 unmanaged 24-port copper gig switch (NetGear).  All the problems
> WENT AWAY.

Netgear make damned nice switches, as unmanaged switches go.  The FS516
10/100 16-port switch I bought ... oh ... jeez, must be four years ago
now has never given me a day's trouble in its life.  And, despite all
the horror stories people have told me of duplex mismatches with hmes
unless forced FDX, that includes not one single duplex mismatch ever.

(OpenBSD doesn't seem to be able to handle a hme in an LX, but that's
another problem altogether.)

 :  alaric at caerllewys.net|phil-stracchino at earthlink.net|phil at novylen.net  :