[rescue] So, I'm bringing up my E3000....

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Apr 6 10:20:51 CDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 02:40:06PM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at caerllewys.net>
>
> > I can get a console installer OK.  What I want right now is
> > just a shell to do some checking and testing.  (I tried to
> > just boot -s, but I seem to be unable to remember the root
> > password for the machine.)
>
> Oh fudge, I get it - you are trying to open a shell *without* booting
> into the GUI installer...
>
> Argh - I always boot GUI installer, then right-click and open a
> terminal session, and do what you need to do... But if you are in a
> console session, I don't know how to open *another* session...

Hm.  That's a thought.  Hadn't occurred to me to do that.  (Yes, there
is a framebuffer installed.)

And yes, that let me blow away the root password.  Good call.  Now I can
figure out what's wrong ....   or maybe just blow everything away
(there's nothing currently on the machine that I need) and reinstall
from scratch anyway.

 :  alaric at caerllewys.net|phil-stracchino at earthlink.net|phil at novylen.net  :