[rescue] Oh no! This poor Origin server.....

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sun Apr 4 13:55:17 CDT 2004

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 01:01:07PM -0400, Sandwich Maker wrote:
> "From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at caerllewys.net>
> "You get more complete drainage that way, and more of the crud and sludge
> "comes out with the oil.  (And getting the crud and sludge out is, after
> "all, at least half the point; which is why I don't use synthetic wonder
> "oils in my cars -- sure, PennExxAcoOline WonderOne may have a viscosity
> "life of 100,000 miles, but it's carrying around just as much filth after
> "the first 5,000 of them as a quart of K-Mart Economy K-Oil.)
>
> that's why you still change your -filter- every 5k mi when you run
> synth oil.

The oil is still carrying around a lot of crud (acids, etc) that the
filter won't remove.

I prefer to just change oil and filter every 3,000 miles.  When I was
doing my own maintenance (which I can't currently, though I'm getting
back towards being able to again), I'd flush the engine every time I
changed the oil as well, and if I dropped the oil pan the bottom end of
the engine was almost white-glove clean.

 :  alaric at caerllewys.net|phil-stracchino at earthlink.net|phil at novylen.net  :