[rescue] New acquisition... (AIX)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Apr 4 07:43:21 CDT 2004

On Apr 3, 2004, at 7:43 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>>    They really do.  The only problem is the noise. :-(
>
> Noise?  Bah!  Music!!
>
> I have fond memories of my older electronic typewriter clattering away
> at a form letter.  I love that sound.  As far as printers go, it's
> probably only second to a well-designed[0] pattern spewed to an
> ImageWriter in terms of pleasant printer-driven audio output.
> ImageWriters can sing quite well with appropriate output.

   I love the sound that most large computer make, but it's the
irregularity of daisy-wheel noise that bugs me.  If it were more
regular I'd have no problem with it.

   Actually, that said, I could probably get used to it pretty easily.
I'm an adaptable sort, and I'd always smile when I see the output.

>>    I wonder if NetBSD has a driver for an LPV11 board...Jon could
>> throw
>> together a MicroVAX-II and use it as a print server, handling the
>> LXY01
>> and whatever other printers he has.  That would be *nice*.
>
> Or a PDP-11.  I can't imagine where I'd find an 11-03, though.
>
> *stubs toe*
>
> Oh, there's one!

   Don't plan on using that as a network print server.  An 11/03 has a
16-bit address bus and no MMU.  Feel free to send it to me, and I'll
send you a VAX. :-)

           -Dave