[rescue] Oh no! This poor Origin server.....

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Apr 3 11:27:59 CST 2004

Sat, 03 Apr 2004 @ 05:43 -0600, Steven Hill said:

> Because in every organisation I have worked in, the cold spare would be
> shoe-horned into service against the technical staff's wishes. Something
> would go tits up, and we'd still be between a rock and a hard place at
> 4AM.

Very true.

Years ago I was in a shop which was all DEC UNIX.  We had a pair of
servers set up for web services, and they were supposed to be fail-over
hosts.  They shared SCSI busses and had round-robined routing to them.

The plan called for neither to go over 50% load, so either taking over
would not bother customers.

When the load breached 50%, we were supposed to add a host.

It never happened.  Eventually both hosts were maxxed out.

One day one of them failed...

We nicknamed them the FALL-over hosts.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["We are all of us in the gutter, some of us
looking at the stars." -- Oscar Wilde]