[rescue] Oh no! This poor Origin server.....

Steven Hill sjh at waroffice.net
Sat Apr 3 05:43:49 CST 2004

> In some cases the service contract for hardware (like the Cisco contract
> for 4500 routers) costs the same as buying a cold spare. Personally, I'd
> go for the cold spare, but some folks prefer the service contract. Go
> figure.

Because in every organisation I have worked in, the cold spare would be
shoe-horned into service against the technical staff's wishes. Something
would go tits up, and we'd still be between a rock and a hard place at
4AM.

If things could be left on the shelf, or given to a sysadmin to play with,
then yeah, I'd probably take the cold spare over the service contract too.

--
Steven Hill

I have had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.
                                - Groucho Marx