[rescue] Oh no! This poor Origin server.....

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Fri Apr 2 21:26:16 CST 2004

Joshua Boyd wrote:

> For the machine I currently have colocated (a U5), I tried both NetBSD
>
>and Linux (Aurora, though people have since told me I should have used
>Gentoo) before giving up in frustration and going with Solaris.

I just can't sing the praises of Gentoo high enough.

The two major Linux complaints I've seen is this thread don't apply to
Gentoo.

1)  Craploads of services you don't want or need

Gentoo doesn't have ANY services running by default.  None.  You can't
talk to it except from the console.  The only service that gets
installed in a default install is ssh, but it's not started on boot..

2)  Who knows what was compiled into the kernel?

Gentoo doesn't come with a compiled kernel.  "Here's the source, you
decide what you want in it."

Cheers,

Caleb