[rescue] Oh no! This poor Origin server.....

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Fri Apr 2 16:24:06 CST 2004

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:32:10 -0500, "Joshua Boyd" <jdboyd at jdboyd.net>
said:
> On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 03:10:59PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
>
> > and I admire anybody who's got the patience to beat Solaris into submission
> > and isn't scared to put it anywhere near the Internet.
>
> Really?  I'm more comfortable putting Solaris on the net than I am
> linux.  And system administration is not my trade either, and linux is
> what I spend 8 to 24 hours a day staring at.

Hence my "paint a target on our back" comment.  We have
the regular complement of hosted systems firewalling (multiple
layers), IDS, etc.  But if we were to put Linux up there, we'd
be having to filter a hell of a lot more noise out of the
monitoring channel due to the increase in script kiddies hitting
us.

Not to mention that I've yet to see a Linux box survive a load
of 42+, much less be useable, as I've seen with Solaris on Sun
Enterprise hardware.

Yes, by personal experience, not hearsay--a U2E w/
512MB of RAM. I can't recall if it was single or dual proc.
You could log actually log in on the console and do stuff...
slowly.

=Nadine=
--
  N. Miller