[rescue] Oh no! This poor Origin server.....

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Fri Apr 2 11:34:43 CST 2004

James wrote:

> There are several ingenious tools for removing oil filters.
> One is a cap that slips over the end of the filter and has
> a socket drive. Use a long drive extention and you can change
> your oil without reaching in.

   Oh, I've got one o' them -- but the Sienna has a bar running across
the top of the opening where the handle of the long socket would sweep
through, and only a narrow opening through which you get like 30 degrees
of freedom for a short one anyway. Plus it's sort of set back in
and...damn it, my wrist itches already, forseeing the inevitable burn.
:7(
   I usually slip an old chamois glove in between my wrist and the hot
pipe when I go in for the filter. But that just reinforces my analogy
with service contracts: if they charged less _and_ spared my physical
pain (and if I didn't have so much to do this weekend), then I'd let
someone else do it. But it costs too much, and they want my vehicle for
an hour, and have machines for snacks and a bad TV...well, I just won't
budge.
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt