[rescue] Oh no! This poor Origin server.....

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 1 16:23:03 CST 2004

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 16:35:34 -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
>    "Support costs".  So you pay a clueless vendor drone to have
>    someone  to yell at instead of hiring a competent technical staff
>    and paying them enough to keep them around.

Software support is pretty much useless ... I've made 1 such call in 14
years (writing a Solaris kernel patch without the source is kind of
tricky).

Hardware support is quite useful unless you're large enough to have a
large collection of spare parts, or can take the hit of a long downtime.

>    I will *NEVER* work for a big company again.  Never.

I've never had the misfortune, and it sounds like I've had a lucky
escape.