[rescue] Weird Silicon Graphics o2 graphics issues

Benjamin Gardiner cvisors at carnagevisors.net
Tue Sep 30 22:10:43 CDT 2003

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 10:34:20PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 11:31:22 +1000
>>Benjamin Gardiner wrote:
>>

>>>what seems to happen is the "whole" image isn't displayed but the
>>>first section of the image, then it repeats, with the dog image its
>>>pretty much half, but it can be a third.  With image view, to get it
>>>to display this behavior I have to resize the image.
>>>
>>>the best explanation would be this screen capture here:
>>><http://www.carnagevisors.net/images/image1.jpeg>
>>>
>>That doesn't look good.  It points to an addressing problem in memory or
>>perhaps a problem with the graphics chipset.  From what you describe,
>>this only happens when you're doing texture - and that's not a happy
>>thing when dealing with O2s.
>

> It doesn't look good, but before saying that it definitely is a
> hardware problem, I would ask for the full output from:
>
> Running the command 'xdpyinfo'
>
> The full contents of the Xserver file (which has all the command line
> options that the X server is started with)
>
> Also a few tests should be in order:
>
> What happens:
>
> if you turn off backing store?
> if you change resolution?
> if you change color depth?
> if you disable the 8bit PseudoColor overlay plane?
>
> Remember that even the dmedia stuff from SGI has bugs in it... perhaps
> this is some kind of weirdness that is being tickled that won't be
> under slightly different X server configuration.

okay I will give these all a go. Some other notes, this occured with
both IRIX 6.2 and 6.5. Thanks for the help.

here is the output from xdpyinfo:

name of display:    :0.0
version number:    11.0
vendor string:    Silicon Graphics
vendor release number:    6600
maximum request size:  262140 bytes
motion buffer size:  0
bitmap unit, bit order, padding:    32, MSBFirst, 32
image byte order:    MSBFirst
number of supported pixmap formats:    5
supported pixmap formats:
     depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
     depth 8, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
     depth 12, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
     depth 15, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
     depth 24, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
keycode range:    minimum 15, maximum 149
focus:  window 0x3c0000a, revert to PointerRoot
number of extensions:    32
     Adobe-DPS-Extension
     DCShare
     DEC-XTRAP
     DOUBLE-BUFFER
     DPMS
     DPSExtension
     ESA
     Extended-Visual-Information
     GLX
     LBX
     MIT-SHM
     MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
     Multi-Buffering
     READDISPLAY
     RECORD
     ReadDisplay
     SCREEN-SAVER
     SGI-CONTROLPASSING
     SGI-NewMultibuffering
     SGI-SCREEN-CAPTURE
     SGI-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
     SGI-VIDEO-CONTROL
     SGIFullScreenStereo
     SHAPE
     SYNC
     TOG-CUP
     XC-APPGROUP
     XC-MISC
     XInputExtension
     XKEYBOARD
     XTEST
     XVideo
default screen number:    0
number of screens:    1

screen #0:
   dimensions:    1280x1024 pixels (350x280 millimeters)
   resolution:    93x93 dots per inch
   depths (5):    1, 8, 12, 15, 24
   root window id:    0x40
   depth of root window:    24 planes
   number of colormaps:    minimum 1, maximum 11
   default colormap:    0x3d
   default number of colormap cells:    256
   preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 16777215
   largest cursor:    32x32
   current input event mask:    0x72003c
     ButtonPressMask          ButtonReleaseMask        EnterWindowMask

     LeaveWindowMask          StructureNotifyMask
SubstructureRedirectMask
     FocusChangeMask          PropertyChangeMask
   number of visuals:    29
   default visual id:  0x32
   visual:
     visual id:    0x20
     class:    PseudoColor
     depth:    8 planes
     available colormap entries:    256
     red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x21
     class:    PseudoColor
     depth:    8 planes
     available colormap entries:    256
     red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x22
     class:    StaticColor
     depth:    8 planes
     available colormap entries:    256
     red, green, blue masks:    0xe0, 0x1c, 0x3
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x23
     class:    TrueColor
     depth:    8 planes
     available colormap entries:    8 per subfield
     red, green, blue masks:    0xe0, 0x1c, 0x3
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x24
     class:    TrueColor
     depth:    8 planes
     available colormap entries:    8 per subfield
     red, green, blue masks:    0xe0, 0x1c, 0x3
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x25
     class:    PseudoColor
     depth:    8 planes
     available colormap entries:    256
     red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x26
     class:    PseudoColor
     depth:    12 planes
     available colormap entries:    4096
     red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x27
     class:    PseudoColor
     depth:    12 planes
     available colormap entries:    4096
     red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x28
     class:    PseudoColor
     depth:    12 planes
     available colormap entries:    4096
     red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x29
     class:    PseudoColor
     depth:    12 planes
     available colormap entries:    4096
     red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x2a
     class:    PseudoColor
     depth:    12 planes
     available colormap entries:    4096
     red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x2b
     class:    PseudoColor
     depth:    12 planes
     available colormap entries:    4096
     red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x2c
     class:    TrueColor
     depth:    15 planes
     available colormap entries:    32 per subfield
     red, green, blue masks:    0x7c00, 0x3e0, 0x1f
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x2d
     class:    TrueColor
     depth:    15 planes
     available colormap entries:    32 per subfield
     red, green, blue masks:    0x7c00, 0x3e0, 0x1f
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x2e
     class:    TrueColor
     depth:    15 planes
     available colormap entries:    32 per subfield
     red, green, blue masks:    0x7c00, 0x3e0, 0x1f
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x2f
     class:    TrueColor
     depth:    15 planes
     available colormap entries:    32 per subfield
     red, green, blue masks:    0x7c00, 0x3e0, 0x1f
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x30
     class:    TrueColor
     depth:    15 planes
     available colormap entries:    32 per subfield
     red, green, blue masks:    0x7c00, 0x3e0, 0x1f
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x31
     class:    TrueColor
     depth:    15 planes
     available colormap entries:    32 per subfield
     red, green, blue masks:    0x7c00, 0x3e0, 0x1f
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x32
     class:    TrueColor
     depth:    24 planes
     available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
     red, green, blue masks:    0xff, 0xff00, 0xff0000
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x33
     class:    TrueColor
     depth:    24 planes
     available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
     red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x34
     class:    TrueColor
     depth:    24 planes
     available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
     red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x35
     class:    TrueColor
     depth:    24 planes
     available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
     red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x36
     class:    TrueColor
     depth:    24 planes
     available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
     red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x37
     class:    TrueColor
     depth:    24 planes
     available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
     red, green, blue masks:    0xff, 0xff00, 0xff0000
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x38
     class:    TrueColor
     depth:    24 planes
     available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
     red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x39
     class:    TrueColor
     depth:    24 planes
     available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
     red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x3a
     class:    TrueColor
     depth:    24 planes
     available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
     red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x3b
     class:    TrueColor
     depth:    24 planes
     available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
     red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x3c
     class:    DirectColor

--