[rescue] OT: FeeCee rescue

Derek Andersen deanders at pcisys.net
Tue Sep 30 15:36:09 CDT 2003

Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 04:21:47PM -0400, Derek Andersen wrote:
>>Transitioning to another Unix (or Unix-like) operating system won't be
>>very difficult, it'll just be somewhat expensive (assuming equivalent
>>performance). I like my O2, but it's really not fast enough (R5K-180PC)
>>for most of the things I need to do...
>
> For the cost of an O2, you could have gotten a much faster Octane,
> probably (unless you got lucky).  For the cost of a moderate PC, you can
> get a very nice Octane (say a R12k, gig of ram, SSI graphics).   For the
> price of a really PC you can get a fantastic Octane ($2500 should get
> you either dual R12k or Vpro, if your not lucky enough to get both at
> once).

Yeah, my $250 O2 (bought in spring of this year) isn't looking so hot
right now...I keep seeing Octanes for around $200 that are much nicer. :(

I certainly intend to get an Octane as soon as I can afford to (again,
I'm broke...). I'm also rather annoyed that I didn't pick up the Ultra
10 (w/Creator 3D, I think) at the university auction--it went for (I
think) $105.

It's highly unlikely that I'll spend $2500 on *anything* in the near
future (i.e., the next few years). Well, maybe a Powerbook...

Derek Andersen