Unemployment on the Rescue List? (was RE: [rescue] FS: SGI

Mike F lists at mikef.dyndns.org
Mon Sep 29 18:34:17 CDT 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 18:15:52 -0400
"Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366" <patrick at zill.net> wrote:
[snip]
> > Why do you need to reboot XP just to fix a hosed DHCP lease?  If
> > ipconfig/release and /renew don't fix the problem, disabling the
> > interface and re-enabling almost certainly will.  (Which reminds me;
> > I need to figure out how to do that last programmatically.)
>
> I did try that first, you know.  But rebooting is what really fixed
> the behavior I was seeing.  It could possibly have been related to the
> splendiferously crapulous Outlook POP3 client.
[snip]

I've seen this as well, at least with Windows 2000. It seems that if
the PC loses connectivity with the DHCP server, as in physical
connectivity, Windows reconfigures the machine with a 169.254.*.*
address, and any attempts to release and renew the DHCP lease, once
the DHCP server is back, do nothing. There is a registry setting,
which I applied to my PC at work, which tells Win2K to ignore a
loss of link/no carrier. In this case, it keeps the lease and when
the DHCP server comes back up, it just keeps chugging along. I never
did check if disabling/re-enabling the NIC would work, but for me
the registry tweak means zero fiddling, and for others a reboot is
relatively quick and painless.