Unemployment on the Rescue List? (was RE: [rescue] FS: SGI

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Mon Sep 29 03:16:01 CDT 2003

On Sunday, September 28, 2003, at 07:26 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   On another list a friend of mine destroyed the hinges on a
> TiBook...something I've widely considered to be the closest to
> "indestructible hardware" that I've ever seen.  Again, mine has hit
> the floor several times, had orange juice spilled INSIDE it, etc, and
> is fine.
>
>   Maybe you folks should say nice things about your hardware.  Both
> Nadine and the TiBook guy (hi Jon) take good care of their stuff, and
> so do I.  I don't gripe about mine, though.  Perhaps that's the
> difference. ;)

Yah, maybe.  I think it's more that the Danger Karma is following me
around for slagging them.  Or maybe it's my own good hardware Karma
catching up with me on it--that happens periodically.[0]

A friend of a friend works @Danger, so I have a little visibility
into the company...I'm very glad I didn't bother to apply for the
sys admin job they had (have?) posted.  Not that I'd have been
called anyway.

=Nadine=

[0] Generally, I have *very* good luck with hardware--as the owner
of ~20 NetApps, ~50 Sun servers over 4 years at $JOB-1 (including
an A/C failure that put the back half of the DC where most of my
NetApps were located at 100+ F), I never had anything more serious
than disk drive failures and one U1 fan go on *my* boxes.  But,
once in a while, something I get just *doesn't* work, even when it
should, and nothing is really wrong with it.