Unemployment on the Rescue List? (was RE: [rescue] FS: SGI

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Sep 29 16:32:44 CDT 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:13:23 -0700
Devin L. Ganger wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 11:05:02PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo
>
> > XP sort of works, if you throw a 2GHz box at it and reboot it
> > whenever it screws up its DHCP lease.  Of course in rebooting it
> > shows its Windows heritage.
>
> Why do you need to reboot XP just to fix a hosed DHCP lease?  If
> ipconfig/release and /renew don't fix the problem, disabling the
> interface and re-enabling almost certainly will.  (Which reminds me; I
> need to figure out how to do that last programmatically.)

In my experience, ipconfig /release and /renew don't always work.
Sometimes they just hang there doing nothing - or worse yet, they assign
the wacky MS default IP.  It doesn't happen *every* time, but it does
happen often enough to be an issue.

This isn't a new problem - it's been going on since Win95, and MS has
apparently decided not to do anything about it.

> For my job, I end up doing a lot of work on Windows.  My work-provided
> laptop is XP -- I don't have a choice.  Other than one hardware issue
> (a flaky mainboard -- IBM T30s have been having lots of production
> problems) and a couple of issues with beta software (again, a
> necessity of my job), it's been just as reliable as anything else I've
> worked on.  About the only time I have to reboot it is when applying
> patches.

I'm taking that with a healthy dose of YMMV and "results not typical".
My experience has not been the same as yours.

> I understand and share a lot of the philosophical reasons for not
> liking Windows, but I also believe in giving praise -- and blame --
> where it is due.  The days of having to blindly reboot Windows to fix
> every little problem are gone.

Erm, not exactly.  Blindly, perhaps not.  However, it certainly needs
rebooting more often than it should.

--
Kurt              "You're all bastards! MTV sucks! We hates you all!"
kurt at k-huhn.com                                -- Gollum