Unemployment on the Rescue List? (was RE: [rescue] FS: SGI

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Sep 29 15:35:45 CDT 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Devin L. Ganger wrote:

> Why do you need to reboot XP just to fix a hosed DHCP lease?  If ipconfig
> /release and /renew don't fix the problem, disabling the interface and
> re-enabling almost certainly will.  (Which reminds me; I need to figure out
> how to do that last programmatically.)

If you mean from the command prompt:

netsh
  interface "whatever"
    offline
    online

If you mean, through the API, it's really hairy.

> Windows has its share of warts and faults, but so many of the gripes I see
> from people about it these days are from people who give the appearance of
> not having bothered to learn what fixes MS is making.  It takes them time,
> granted, but they are slowly fixing things.

It still sucks.  It's a decent desktop OS, but it belongs nowhere near a
server.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Gamer weenies...are the sludge at the bottom
Elgin, TX          (    of the user swamp."           --Gary Nichols