Unemployment on the Rescue List? (was RE: [rescue] FS: SGI

Devin L. Ganger devin at thecabal.org
Mon Sep 29 15:13:23 CDT 2003

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 11:05:02PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:

> XP sort of works, if you throw a 2GHz box at it and reboot it whenever
> it screws up its DHCP lease.  Of course in rebooting it shows its
> Windows heritage.

Why do you need to reboot XP just to fix a hosed DHCP lease?  If ipconfig
/release and /renew don't fix the problem, disabling the interface and
re-enabling almost certainly will.  (Which reminds me; I need to figure out
how to do that last programmatically.)

Windows has its share of warts and faults, but so many of the gripes I see
from people about it these days are from people who give the appearance of
not having bothered to learn what fixes MS is making.  It takes them time,
granted, but they are slowly fixing things.

For my job, I end up doing a lot of work on Windows.  My work-provided
laptop is XP -- I don't have a choice.  Other than one hardware issue (a
flaky mainboard -- IBM T30s have been having lots of production problems)
and a couple of issues with beta software (again, a necessity of my job),
it's been just as reliable as anything else I've worked on.  About the
only time I have to reboot it is when applying patches.

I understand and share a lot of the philosophical reasons for not liking
Windows, but I also believe in giving praise -- and blame -- where it is
due.  The days of having to blindly reboot Windows to fix every little
problem are gone.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
"Aikido is based around the central precept of letting an attack take its