Unemployment on the Rescue List? (was RE: [rescue] FS: SGI

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Sun Sep 28 22:05:02 CDT 2003

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 10:44:01PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Sunday, September 28, 2003, at 10:39 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> >>    Said RealServer is running under Solaris8 on an Ultra30.
> >
> > Oh.  I thought there was some x86 bumfuggery going on that made the
> > deal
> > even saltier.
>
>    No, that was the twenty computer illiterate people asking ME how to
> set up RealProducer (mostly on stupid PeeCees that ran in short spurts
> between crashes) to squirt video at said RealServer.  *My* job was to
> bring up RealServer...then someone leaked my email address and phone
> number.

Wassa matter, you can't hack it?

Just kidding.  I would have given them a blank look and said, "gee, I
dunno, all my friends with Macs and RealProducer don't have these
issues" followed by "who suggested you guys buy PCs for this task?"

Right now $nice_client is going with all Dells and XP.  Thankfully the
server is based on Linux and I have installed WinVNC on all the XP
boxes so that I can connect remotely without having to walk all over
their 30,000 sf building.

XP sort of works, if you throw a 2GHz box at it and reboot it whenever
it screws up its DHCP lease.  Of course in rebooting it shows its
Windows heritage.

--Patrick