[rescue] IBM RS/6000 7011 model 250 - Console

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Thu Sep 25 06:56:32 CDT 2003

On Thursday 25 September 2003 04:27 am, McWhirter,Julia wrote:
> No AIX media to boot from, I inherited them with no media CD or
> otherwise and no docs and they are supposed to already be installed with
> AIX 3.?.  I just need the console/serial pin outs to see if it actually
> boots.

Does the 7011-250 have the three-digit LED on the front?  I can't remember.

If so, that's the best way to diagnose one of these machines.  The earlier
RS/6000's didn't really do a whole lot on the console during power-up and
boot like a lot of other machines do.  Yeah, you'll still need a console to
see if an OS actually comes up, but you can use the LED codes to determine if
it even finds a bootable disk and the monitor early stages of AIX coming up
(detecting hardware, mounting disks, etc.)  If there's a problem in the early
stages, this will tell you.

-E.