[rescue] IBM and Unisys equipment

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Thu Sep 25 20:09:59 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, September 24, 2003, at 11:29  PM, Dan Sikorski wrote:

> I have access to some equipment that will probably soon be hitting a
> dumpster.  This is not currently in my possession, but probably could
> be
> if i want it.
>
> The biggest of this is what i believe to be a Unisys A series
> mainframe.  I don't know anything about it, but did snap a few pictures
> of it that i could make available if anyone's interested.

Our customer uses one of those.  REEEALLLY OLD mind you,... it has
several later successors including the NX series... they run the MCP
OS.  The other line of mainframes they have are direct decendants of
Univac running OS 2200.  The newest MCP machine is the Libra Model 185,
and the newest OS 2200 (Univac) is the ClearPath Plus Dorado family.

Our customer is doing certain financial stuff on them.  Some
departments cling to them because there was a concern that the migrated
platform wasn't fast enough... keep in mind everyone else has long
since migrated to HP9000 equipment ranging from K-Class through
RP8400's... I highly doubt a mainframe computer from 1984 can keep
up... especially the way this one appears to be configured.  Even
though these mainframes are the strange bastardized kind that use Intel
processors on some boards to interface with the front-end...i.e. they
use the proprietary backend hardware and OS for transaction processing
and have NT/W2000/W2K3 modules for interface (or SCO Unixware and
recently Linux).

...I'd still love to have the space, time, and energy to grab this
thing... not to mention Voltage.