[rescue] fddi equipment on e-bay...

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Thu Sep 25 12:28:59 CDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 12:52:27PM -0400, Purdy, Chris  wrote:
> Hello again....
>
> I found this ethernet/fddi hub on e-bay.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3049044709&category=11184
>
> I am running a pretty basic setup right now at home (cable
> modem - 4 port router/wireless access point). I'm assuming
> I could just use this FDDI/ethernet hub to up-link to my
> router, then use the fddi connection to my Indigo2 correct?

I have one of these.  It is a switch, with an amazing amount of
configuration stuff built into it.  In theory you should be correct, but
I'm attempting to use a U1 to do my routing and thus have never tried
using the FDDI ports on my Lanplex.  I should drag it out and try it
eventually (note, the lanplex is louder than an Octane.  Call me a wimp,
but I can already hear my octane from any point in my apartment, I don't
need to add the noise of the lanplex right now).

> P.S. The same seller has a lot of 5 of these up for sale -
> starting bid is $10.00...

And $10 is about all they are worth.  I paid $26 for mine in 2001.