[rescue] Compaq disk array questions

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Thu Sep 25 08:17:25 CDT 2003

> From: Shirker <shirker at mooli.org.uk>

> Hi all,
>
> I've rescued a 3-device Compaq hot-swap cage (ex-some FeeCee server or other)
>
> My questions about this are:
>
> 1) It works OK when connected up to a machine, however neither the power
> or activity LEDs on the caddies light when the drives have power or activity.
> The tiny SMD activity LEDs on the drive PCBs work fine. Are the LEDs in
> the front of the caddies controlled by SCSI commands or something, and
> if so, can I get them working under *N?X? /me wants my blinkenlights!

IIRC from my Compaq days, these are driven from a different interface that
comes to another connector on the back of the cage. Look to see if there is
a small 9 or so pin connector that a ribbon cable would plug into. This
might be dependent on the age/type of cage you have. The blinkenlights work
fine on an 1850R we had running Linux a while back :-)

> 2) How should I handle termination of this unit? (It just has 68-pin
> wide SCSI and Molex power connectors on the back, nothing else - no
> jumpers or switches).

I believe it auto-terminates. We never had to do anything when we added the
secondary hot-swap cage in our DL380's. That entailed a short SCSI cable to
go from the original cage to the new cage, and a small ribbon cable to bring
the interface for the lights, etc. No termination was ever fiddled with.

Hope that helps,

Steve