[rescue] Advice on Octanes

Gerhard Lenerz mail at g-lenerz.de
Wed Sep 24 12:28:22 CDT 2003

Hello Jochen,

> On 2003.09.24 16:44 Kurt Huhn wrote:
>> > I ePayed an Octane R12k, 300 MHz, SE GFX, 512 MB RAM, 9 GB disk
> today
>> > for 300,-EUR (approx. 300 US$). Seams to be a good deal.
>> I'll say!  I wish I could have found that deal.
> Well. On monday a R12k Octane (SI I think) with 1 GB RAM, two 9 GB disks
> and 20" monitor went for 312,-EUR / US$.

  OH-MY-GOD... I guess it's time to hunt for a better Octane and give
  my old one (~400 EUR in 11/02, 2xR10K/175, 512MB, 9GB, SI) away as
  long as I still get a reasonable amount of money for it. Makes
  probably much more sense than buying parts to upgrade.

> Seams like Joshua has a different opineon. I found a PDF from SGI that
> described dual head setups, but only with SI/SSI/MXI. No word about
> SE/SSE/MXE.
> I think I will just try when I get the machine on friday.

  In my notes I have that SI + SI, SSI + SI, MXI + SI and SE + SE,
  SSE + SE, MXE + SE work (and are considered "safe"). No info about
  mixing I-/E-style boards, so I'm also quite curious. :)

Gerhard
PS: Did you get my mail?