[rescue] Advice on Octanes

Rob Fielding rob at dsvr.net
Wed Sep 24 08:49:43 CDT 2003

> According to these numbers he isn't getting the performance that SGI
> claims their memory system is capable of.  Perhaps it is the R10k being
> unable to keep up with the memory here?  I don't know that much about
> how the Octane is set up in this way, but it appears that the SGI is
> getting half the bandwidth SGI claims while the P3 is getting fairly
> close to the performance typically claimed for PC133 memory.  I wonder
> why.  Could expand on your results more Francisco please?

I was once told by a chap lucky enough personally own an Octane dual R14K 600
that the R12K fixed a number of issues in the R10K CPU. One of these was to do
with cache misses. If you're not seeing max performance out of the system with
an R10K processor, I would imagine this might be a considerable reason.

/me hopes this information doesn't further the resellers ability to keep the
price of 2nd hand R12K parts stupidly high....

--

Rob Fielding
rob at dsvr.net	Development	www.dsvr.co.uk