[rescue] Advice on Octanes

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Tue Sep 23 22:00:33 CDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 10:46:55PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:36:08 -0400
> Kevin wrote:
>
> > I'm of the same opinion.  I love my Octane and use it
> > as my main workstation, but my 1999 era, PC100, dual P3
> > 450 Slack box downstairs is much faster for many tasks
> > (most of my apps aren't using both CPUs so i don't
> > believe that is where the edge lies.)  For instance, if
> > i want to crypt a file with gpg, if it's over 30 megs
> > or so, i move it to the P3 to, do the math and move it
> > back.
> >

> That's pretty odd.  What do the time comparisons look like?

I would not be surprised, when you consider that gcc on x86 is
probably a lot better than gcc/mips.  And if you are using an old o32
build or something...

For me, I find myself liking IRIX a lot, but x86 Linux and *BSDs are
very lightweight.

Think how much more work can be performed per cycle when your kernel
does not have what, 4000 entry points for SMP safety.

How much faster X can be when you do not have overlay planes and lots
of other fancy stuff - just 2D X.

Single task comparisons will always favor Linux or x86-BSDs.

Now, run that crypt and then do 3 other tasks and see what happens.

--Patrick