[rescue] Advice on Octanes

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue Sep 23 21:46:55 CDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:36:08 -0400
Kevin wrote:

> I'm of the same opinion.  I love my Octane and use it
> as my main workstation, but my 1999 era, PC100, dual P3
> 450 Slack box downstairs is much faster for many tasks
> (most of my apps aren't using both CPUs so i don't
> believe that is where the edge lies.)  For instance, if
> i want to crypt a file with gpg, if it's over 30 megs
> or so, i move it to the P3 to, do the math and move it
> back.

That's pretty odd.  What do the time comparisons look like?

> on my x86 stuff.  If i had to choose between them,
> Octane all the way, but i'm not going to lie to myself
> and say it's faster for *my* tasks.

Certainly not.  For some stuff, apparently what I use it for, the Octane
is far better/faster.  YMMV.  Results not typical.  Side effects
minimal.  Use only as directed.

--
Kurt              "You're all bastards! MTV sucks! We hates you all!"
kurt at k-huhn.com                                -- Gollum