[rescue] Advice on Octanes

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Tue Sep 23 18:39:47 CDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:15:19 -0700 (PDT)
> Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
>
> > I recommend a remedial computer architecture class before making such
> > statements, thanks :).
>
> I see.  All the ad hominem attacks in the world aren't going to change
> my mind, or anyone elses for that matter.  Perhaps you'd like to start
> over and explain where I went wrong instead of implying that I know
> squat?

First off, it was part of my sense of humor... not trying to offend.

What I thought is that you seemed to think that the processor had a
"dedicated" port to each component in the system, i.e. Memory and I/O. Which is not true,
since the R10K has to do every request through the same pins, since IO and
memory are the same as far as it is concerned. The only time the Xbow can
be superior to a PC is when 2 processors are pressent in which it will
allow each processor to hit either memory or I/O separatedly. For a single
processor there is not much gain from the Xbow when compared to a FeeCee.

Newer Athlon and Xeon chipsets allow for switched approaches.

> I was addressing your statement that a P3 and a Octane have a memory
> subsystem that is on par with each other.  Nothing more, nothing less.

> As far as raw computational prowess, My Octane still stomps the P3 800
> behind me for a number of tasks.  That's real performance, not
> benchmarks or theoretical speed.

And I have a completely different experience, so I am glad that you have
the tool that you require for your job.