[rescue] Advice on Octanes

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Tue Sep 23 18:29:19 CDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 04:49:00PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>
> >    That's interesting.  Then why is my Octane (a 200MHz R10K) so much
> > faster doing PRETTY MUCH ANYTHING than my cow-orker's 650MHz P3?
>
> What is the OS on the P3 ?

FreeBSD sometimes, Linux others. Basically I have to run lots of matlab
and maple stuffs under linux, and FreeBSD just because I like it more than
linux.

For heavy duty markov solvers for example the P3 just leaves the Octane in
the dust.

Again, I love my octane and it is my main desktop box, but the P3 as much
as I may dislike the architecture seems to produce results way faster and
that is what I care about.