[rescue] Advice on Octanes

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 14:01:26 CDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 11:35:22 -0500 (EST), Joshua Snyder wrote:
> Yeah, I am going to have at least 256meg of ram... I would like to get
> 512...

Of course difference Octane mainboards take different sizes of RAM ...
best check with that site on BT's webserver mentioned earlier. It's nice
to expand up to 8Gbytes :) (I was lucky and got the late revisions of
everything with my Octane ... in practice it's an Octane2 without the
label).

> This was something that I didn't know.  I guess given the small space
> that you have in the Octane I understand why you wouldn't have room
> for two Cpu modules.

I suspect it's got more to do with SGI being SGI, or possibly the dual
CPU modules have extra SMP support. Certainly the Octane has a
reasonable amount of space available ... probably more than the space
available on a O2K node board (I'm working from memory).

> Ok so now I have another question; are the TRAM modules swappable
> across the different video options or are they all specific to each
> each video card?

Yes they're swappable with restrictions. There's two flavours of TRAM
... SI and SE (which is just a bit faster). SE TRAM will go into
anything except the Vpro stuff; SI TRAM will go into just the SI, SSI,
and MXI.

The SS*, MX* take 2 TRAMs.