[rescue] Advice on Octanes

Gerhard Lenerz mail at g-lenerz.de
Mon Sep 22 15:23:29 CDT 2003

Hello Joshua,

> I am thinking about getting an Octane what should I look out for?

  good choice - probably the SGI that gives you the best
  price/performance ratio.

> And what type of prices should I expect to pay?

  From what Joshua has written I guess prices between USA and Europe
  aren't too different. So for ~400 USD/EUR you should be able to
  score a reasonably configured system.

  What you should look for depends a bit on what you need. If you
  don't need higher 3D performance or texture support in hardware you
  can safely buy a machine with a base level graphics option (SI or
  SE). The money you can save at that point is better put into more
  memory/disk or faster CPUs. Speaking of CPUs it's probably not a bad
  idea to get the 2CPU machine if you have the choice between a given
  2CPU box and a slightly faster 1CPU Octane (eg. 2xR10000/175 vs.
  1xR10000/195). For a lot of applications the second CPU won't help,
  but it makes a difference when you throw load at the machine (think
  of compiling an application and starting Open Office at the same
  time).

--
Best regards,
 Gerhard                            mailto:mail at g-lenerz.de