[rescue] Advice on Octanes

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue Sep 23 11:34:03 CDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 08:02:31 -0400 (EDT)
Kevin wrote:

> I admit it, grin... i play with xmame on my Octane
> about once a week or so.  It runs great by itself, but
> on my R10k 225mhz, if i attempt to actually do anything
> else while playing SF2 Alpha (under xmame) then it
> grinds down to an unusable frame rate.  Even just
> downloading a file or two with Netscape 4.x will give
> these results.

Hmm.  That's odd.  I admit, though, I don't run xmame - but I'm getting
interested.

> And of course with the 225mhz R10k, doing any type of
> 3D rendering reminds me of time long past.  This is my
> main workstation(at home) these days, so some time next
> year i'm planning on sinking ~$1500 into a model with a
> bit more CPU grunt.

Really?  MY R10k-195 stomped all over a P3-800 doing rendering - well,
until you started doing radiosity anway.  But for plain ray tracing, the
Octane was a champ.  The R12k, as you can imagine, is a significant
improvement.

--
Kurt              "You're all bastards! MTV sucks! We hates you all!"
kurt at k-huhn.com                                -- Gollum