[rescue] Advice on Octanes

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Tue Sep 23 08:54:16 CDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 09:13:50AM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> Someone on another list quipped that we should take a hacksaw to a
> peecee case for the purpose of "modding" it to accept Octane parts.
[...]
I got a Sun Ultra 5 board some time ago. I needed a case. There
was an old Siemens PeeCee. PeeCees, especially Siemens, are crap.
But the cases are quite solid. I was surprised how well the U5
board fitted.

I have to admit that I have some other sick thoughts. I have an
empty case from an R3k Indigo (grey Siemens OEM Version). It looks
like a 8 slot QBus backplane would fit into it.
Wouldn't a PDP-11 or VAX inside of an Indigo box be nice?
Or the dead Personal Iris? An Alpha PC164 should fit well and easy.
;-)

> Just be careful with those XIO connectors.  They're very tempermental.
I know. I was very carefull to not touch them etc. But the cleaning
was very necessary. The the air inlets on top of the CPU and XIO
cards where blocked with _lots_ of dust. Several Dust Puppys came
out of the machine. It looked like this machine wasn't cleand since
it was taken in (24/7) use in 1997.
--

tsch|_,
         Jochen