[rescue] Advice on Octanes

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue Sep 23 08:13:50 CDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:11:07 +0200
Jochen Kunz wrote:

> On 2003.09.23 00:12 Kurt Huhn wrote:
>
> > Just don't let me catch any o' y'all using that to make it light up
> > when there's a peecee inside the Octane chassis.
> I found a site that showed how a Octane was killed to hold a PeeCee.
> How cruel. :-(
> I wane do a "brain transplant" with the person that did this.

Someone actually stole my pictures of the lightbar to use in their
Octane destruction.  They were pretty blatant about it too - they didn't
even change the filenames.

Someone on another list quipped that we should take a hacksaw to a
peecee case for the purpose of "modding" it to accept Octane parts.
Take pictures, document the whole thing, totally trash the peecee, then
change around right at the end and throw away the peecee case and all
the components because the Octane is so much better in it's own skin.
Sounds like an excellent idea to me.  :)

> I was expecting some special SGI tricks to get the lightbar off. When
> I removed the boards and skins from the Octane to clean it, well, this
> XIO carrier and the compression connectors are "funny".

Just be careful with those XIO connectors.  They're very tempermental.
If any dust gets into them, your Octane won't be able to run.
Generally, I just stay completely away from those when cleaning.  I
rarely take out the boards to sweep dust out - maybe once per year.
The rest of the time I get what I can without taking it totally apart.
I'm a little paranoid....

--
Kurt              "You're all bastards! MTV sucks! We hates you all!"
kurt at k-huhn.com                                -- Gollum