[rescue] Looking for genealogy software.

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 21 17:25:54 CDT 2003

--- "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Arjen Ronhaar wrote:
>
> > I just bought me an Indigo2 R4400 at 200, and i wondered if there are
> > any goor genealogy programs for Unix?
>
> None that I've found, but if you ever run into any, let me know!  I
> need to get my fiancei off Windows.
>
> > Or maybe a programable database program?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/  <-- All the database you'd ever want.
> http://www.mysql.org/       <-- Less capable, but easier to use.

MySQL is pretty good, esp. for tinkering, IMHO...

I once, years ago (nearly 11 now), set up a simple text-based address
manager for my wedding - it was far from impressive, except how easy it
was to set up. All I did was enter addresses as:

name, number of guests, address1, address2, city, state, zip, status

and through clever shell scripting, it was a trivial matter to manage
it.

A simple text file set up as follows might accomplish much of what you
want to do:

Name, mother, father, born, died

There are several graphing programs that can be driven by text files,
and make nifty little charts showing parent/sibling relationships
(there is one from AT&T that I've used once or twice that seemed very
easy to use)...

My advise, decide what you really want to accomplish, and then take a
good look at how much of it you can just script in a few lines...

> If you mean something like Microsoft Access, I don't know.  There
> probably is something, but software like that is surprisingly less
> useful in the Unix frame of mind.

I've heard of pretty web interfaces for MySQL (and presumably others),
but their names escape me - in effect, they would allow you do some
trivial activities in a GUI as opposed to a command line.

Hope this helps,

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall