[rescue] help with mta & mua

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Wed Sep 17 12:36:45 CDT 2003

If your setup is anything like mine (and probably most routers), you can
not connect from the inside to your outside addresses and be NAT'ed back
into your network.

You need different IP address lookups from inside your network for the
name you are using (which is probably resolving to your outside address).

I use entries in my hosts file (on Solaris) for this purpose as I don't
run my own DNS server at home.

-- Curt

>From: "brooke"
>To: <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:22:46 -0400
>Subject: [rescue] help with mta & mua
>
>Can anyone hazard a guess as to why I can get through to my mta (postfix) via
>pop, imap, and squirrel mail, but only from outside my  firewall? Inside the
>firewall I can only access the webmail. everything  's NATed in the house, and
>the router/ gateway forwards  mail traffic to the box running posifix.
>
>I just get timeouts from OS X's  mail application.
>
>On. And I finally got the sunpci card working by  flashing  the OBP to the
>current level.
>
>-Brooke

Curtis Wilbar
Hawk Mountain Networks

rescue at
t       a
e       w
n       k
.niatnuom

My e-mail is protected against viruses and spam by MailGuardian
                  http://www.mailguardian.net
          Top notch protection at unbelievable prices