[rescue] Installing SunOS 4.1.4?

Al Potter apotter at spankingnuns.com
Mon Sep 15 16:51:49 CDT 2003

> I have a cdrom of 4.1.4 and a good cdrom drive but my google-fu is
> coming up insufficent to find a boot string for the installer. Any
> hints, tips, suggestions, or URL's any of you would think usefull? I
> have already dumped a big pile of patches.

The answers are in the FEH, assgropper......, ah, er, grasshopper.

In any case, set the prom to "new" mode (type "n", now the prompt should be
"ok") and type "boot cdrom".

Otherwise, if you prom is older than dirt, the mystical boot-fu is (from
memory) b sd(0,6,1)  ALTERNATELY b sd(0,30,1)

You might have to play with the "6" and "1" to suit your prom version and
arch. My most oldest FEH is sadly at the office.

My most sage advice:  Boot first with a solaris cd (2.4 or later) and
progress through the install past the point where you have layed out the
partitions, then abort and start over with SunOS.  Solaris is MUCH better at
figuring out disc geometry than SunOS, and if you have an other-than-stock
disk (and there is NO reason to restrict yourself to one), you will REALLY
appreciate solaris being able to just figure the disk out.

AL