[rescue] SGI Iris 4D/310VGX on ebay

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Mon Sep 15 19:16:23 CDT 2003

On Monday, September 15, 2003, at 07:49  PM, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/
> eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2753476815&category=162
>
> Don't know if anyone will be interested in... (like someone local in
> OH)
> but the opening bid is $25.00... drives and graphics boards present.
>
> Looks sweet... I don't know much about SGIs (outside of Indys and
> Indigo 2s
> anyway) but it looks sweet !
>
> I don't have the money or space for such a machine... but hopefully
> someone else will... (it's the shipping that would be the killer)

Heck I'll give someone who'd give them a good home two of those... well
not quite... they are actually Crimson VGX and VGXT... the VGXT is a 10
span with 256 MB of RAM a 2GB disk a 3GB disk, FDDI, CDROM, MIPS Pro
7.2, IRIX 6.2 with patches, 20" SGI monitor, keyboard and mouse.
R4400-150.  The VGX is for parts... it has all working parts except
Power Supply... 64MB RAM, VGX 5 span, R4400-150, PowerSeries skins, 2
2GB drives.  One twistlock 20A power cord, one plain 15A power cord
(special mod).

But... conditional on giving a good home and never scrapping them... I
love these things too much.... they just gobble way too much juice.

I'm in Westchester County NY... they are in a storage locker in
Ossining NY.  You haul...

To any purists.. I put a lot of work into the OS installs so I'd
recommend leaving it alone since the compiler and patches already work
as is and it's neatly installed so that /usr is on the second drive
(which took a lot of finagling and using fx from IRIX 5.3)

Andrew