[rescue] Putting an E3000 out to pasture or finding a support vendor.

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 15 16:03:16 CDT 2003

--- Kevin Loch <kloch at gurunet.net> wrote:
> William Enestvedt wrote:
> > Good afternoon;
> >    I am the lone Sun guy in a Windows world, and I need some
> > feedback on dealing with an older system. So can anyone suggest

> It is very supportable.  There is no shortage of affordable spare
> parts on the secondary market for this box.  Remember that the cpu
> and io boards are compatible with the x500 series too.  Support
> contracts make sense when the box is new and spare parts are
> outrageously expensive.

Good point...

> At this point paying a third party just to mark up
> the inexpensive spares would be a big mistake.  You should not
> have any problem repairing this box in-house for at least
> a few years.

Just as a thought, why not compare the price of replacements to a
service contract (i.e. the price of another E3000 & SSA) and have some
cold spares?

Just a thought, heck, you could even get some work out of them while
they sit on the shelf (you just need the discipline to only run
non-critical applications on the warm spare)...

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall