[rescue] Putting an E3000 out to pasture or finding a support vendor.

Kevin Loch kloch at gurunet.net
Mon Sep 15 15:34:05 CDT 2003

William Enestvedt wrote:
> Good afternoon;
>    I am the lone Sun guy in a Windows world, and I need some feedback on
> dealing with an older system. So can anyone suggest companies offering
> contract support for a single Sun system other than Sun, or can they offer
> feedback on the idea of swapping in a new cheap server for an older, slower
> one? I don't have a lot of data center experience; I recognize that the server
> is still doing its job, but I'm leery of counting on it when it's not
> supportable.

It is very supportable.  There is no shortage of affordable spare parts
on the secondary market for this box.  Remember that the cpu and io
boards are compatible with the x500 series too.  Support contracts
make sense when the box is new and spare parts are outrageously
expensive.  At this point paying a third party just to mark up
the inexpensive spares would be a big mistake.  You should not
have any problem repairing this box in-house for at least
a few years.

KL